Cambridge Boat Club is available for private and member rentals on a limited basis.
- To request a potential date for an event, all potential renters must complete this form.
- Contact the Club Manager to schedule an appointment to visit.
- The club does not have staff on duty, so please do not drop by without an appointment.
- Contact Club Manager: email@example.com.
- Per the City of Cambridge Fire Code, the maximum capacity of the building for rentals is 150 persons total, including guests, waitstaff, club monitor and band, etc.
- Dinner seating in the larger room (Drinkwater) tops out between 100 and 120 people; if needed, additional guests may be seated in the adjacent smaller room.
- The space available for rentals includes the two open large rooms, full length veranda, kitchen, and all of the restrooms.
- The grounds, dock, porch stairway, library and rooms on the second floor are not accessible to renters.
- Two (2) handicapped-accessible restrooms are on the first floor.
- Additional restrooms for men and women are on the second floor; these must be accessed via the balcony. While access is available, the balcony is part of the rental space.
- A building floor plan and club photos are available on the website (link here).
- The building has a heating system and fans, but no air conditioning. There are multiple windows and doors for cross-ventilation.
- Use of the fireplace is not permitted.
Equipment on hand (quantities are approximate):
- 15 round tables, 5’ diameter, 29” high, seating: 8 each
- 6 rectangular tables, 8’ length, 2 ½ ‘ width, 29” high, seating: 8-10 each
- 2 rectangular tables, 6’ length, 2 ½ ‘ width, 29” high, for serving or additional seating
- 10 round high top tables, 30” diameter with 30” and 42” legs
- 140 folding white wooden chairs, with cushioned seats
- Bar with sink
- Piano (movable) – tuning of piano at extra charge – must schedule with club manager
- 6’ Movie Screen (hangs from ceiling in large room)
- All sound/audio/video equipment must be supplied by the renter
- Set up and take down of club equipment is the responsibility of the renter
- Commercial Refrigerator (24” x 21” x 60”h)
- Commercial Convection Oven (5 trays)
- Commercial quality electric stove with oven
- Small freezer (15.5 cubic feet) (Freezer must be plugged in upon arrival and may not reach required temperature)
- No ice machine
Fee & Document Schedule:
- All fees/terms are those as of this date and are subject to change.
- The 2019 rental fee is $950/hour; the 2019 calendar runs from February 1, 2019 through January 31, 2020. The 2020 rental fee will be $1000; all other fees/terms remain the same.
- There is a minimum charge of three (3) hours; your rental package includes one (1) hour before and after the event for set up and clean up at no additional charge.
- If more setup/take down time is required, it must be scheduled ahead of time and will charged at $75 per hour.
- A $1000 security deposit and completed booking contract are due immediately upon booking to secure your date.
- Security deposits are typically returned within 30 days after the event.
- The most common reasons for withholding all or part of the security deposit are excessive cleaning (please do not use confetti, sparkles, rice, etc.) or overtime for the monitor and use of the club. These items are within the control of the renter and can be avoided.
- The complete rental fee, Police Detail Fee (see below) and all required licenses and insurance forms are required a minimum of 60 days prior to the event.
- Rentals will not be scheduled past midnight without Board approval.
- Any rental that extends past midnight will be charged at a rate of 1.5 times the hourly rental fee.
- Charitable Events are considered and must have board approval to get a reduced rate.
- A letterhead request must be sent to the Board via the Club Manager for approval prior to booking.
- Additional details are available here (link to come).
- The Licensee may cancel the Rental Agreement confirmed by the signed ‘Confirmation-Security Deposit Form’ and the receipt of the Security Deposit at any time but in doing so incur the Club’s retention of the Licensee’s Security Deposit per the following schedule:
- On or before 180 days of the Function Date, no loss of Security deposit;
- Between 179 and 90 days of the function Date, 33% loss of Security Deposit;
- Between 89 days and 30 days of the Function Date, 66% loss of Security Deposit;
- Within 30 days of the Function Date, 100% loss of Security Deposit.
- Should the Club cancel an event, the Security Deposit and all other fees will be returned to the Licensee.
- A required MA State Police Detail is arranged by the Club and charged to the renter at the current ‘block’ rate of $220.00 for zero through four hours or $440.00 for over four through eight hours.
- Police Detail fee amounts/terms may be changed by the MA State Police at any time.
- Checks will be returned or destroyed if the club is not invoiced for the event; i.e. the detail did not attend.
- The renter is responsible to leave the club as it was found.
- The sinks in the kitchen do not have garbage disposals.
- Do not throw any grease, food, pan drippings, etc. into the sink.
- Plan by bringing containers for hot/cold grease/garbage and disposing of it in the trash containers you take with you.
- All garbage and recycling must be removed by the renters.
- It is wise to have a designated ‘trash person’ with a van/truck to take trash, recycling, decorations, gifts, etc. at the end of the event.
- CBC encourages recycling as much as possible.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on site.
- Pets are not allowed anywhere in the building.
- No live-flame candles/lamps/etc. may be used; use of the fireplace is prohibited.
- No drapery or fabric are permitted to be hung, attached, or otherwise obstructing the ceiling (including fire-retardant fabrics). This is a fire and safety hazard and will not be allowed.
- Nails, staples, pins, etc are not allowed.
- Confetti, sparkles, sequins, rice, etc are not allowed.
- All rentals require the presence of a CBC monitor from setup though clean up.
- CBC is not available for rental during October and around major holidays – e.g. Labor Day, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Parking is very limited.
- We cannot guarantee adequate parking for your event.
- The street side spaces are considered public parking, but during an event the permit side is available.
- All parking markings and restrictions must be followed; parking may not block the BB&N Boathouse front door (red building at the end of the parking lot).
- Consider making other arrangements such as cabs, Uber or Lyft and shuttles from near by parking areas.
- Caterers/bartenders are the responsibility of the renter.
- The renter (licensee)/caterer/bartender must provide the club with a certificate of insurance that includes liquor liability, in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 naming the club (Cambridge Boat Club) as an additional insured.
- A professional bartender (TIPS Certification must be provided) must be hired if alcohol is served.
- Liquor may be served but not sold in any manner, directly or indirectly such as by chits/tickets, contributions, cash bar, whatsoever; fee paid events are not allowed without prior board approval.
- Keg beer is not permitted at any event.
- Alcohol and food may not be delivered prior to scheduled setup time.
- All leftover alcohol and food must be taken away and not left at the Club.
- Anything left behind will be disposed; additional charges may be incurred.
- Caterers must provide the Club with a copy of their certification as a Professional Food Manager.
- Caterers are also required to complete the ‘Catering Registration Form’ online with the City of Cambridge https://cambridgema.viewpointcloud.com/categories/1118/record-types/6619
- All rented items (china, linens, other cooking equipment, etc.) for delivery and/or pick up must be rented through Peak Event Services or Be Our Guest.
- Peak Event Services, 781 729 4000, www.peakeventservices.com
- Be Our Guest, 617 427 2700, www.beourguestpartyrental.com
- They have access to the building and can easily make deliveries and pick up without having to contact anyone at the venue and customarily deliver on the day of the event prior to the arrival of the catering company to eliminate congestion at the service door.
- Caterers may bring their own equipment and any items that they have rented personally.
- All Caterer’s items must be removed at the end of the event, while the monitor is still present.
- All rented items must be picked up or removed immediately following (same day) the event unless special arrangements are made with the Club.
- All decorations, food, alcohol, trash and cooking or serving items must be removed from the CBC property immediately after the event by the caterer and/or the renter (take it with you). The refrigerator/freezer/oven must be empty when you leave.
- Trash bags are provided. Trash or recycling must be removed from the premises and not placed in club bins.
You may direct further inquiries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the website: www.cambridge-boat-club.org